Ammunition choice

Post Reply
Carol308
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:14 am

Ammunition choice

Post by Carol308 »

Shot placement critical - understood
Getting similar accuracy out of both
Would your choice be 150gr Barnes TTSX or 180gr Swift A-Frame
BWB and Eland
Bushveld
User avatar
tripodmvr
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 21608
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:31 pm

Re: Ammunition choice

Post by tripodmvr »

If you have already acquired both then either would do. If you are still deciding then the price would tell me to use the Barnes.
Sako75
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 1230
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:50 pm

Re: Ammunition choice

Post by Sako75 »

Which calibre?
User avatar
LongWolf
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 832
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:39 pm

Re: Ammunition choice

Post by LongWolf »

Carol308 wrote:Shot placement critical - understood
Getting similar accuracy out of both
Would your choice be 150gr Barnes TTSX or 180gr Swift A-Frame
BWB and Eland
Bushveld
http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s648/Longwolf43/20130402_202128_zpsafe692b1.jpg
User avatar
Francois Marais
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 4042
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 11:40 pm

Re: Ammunition choice

Post by Francois Marais »

Looks to be a 308 Win..... 8) 8) 8)

Keep well
Francois
Francois Marais
Windhoek, Namibia
francois@jaracal.com
+264811275447
Carl
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 4793
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:09 pm

Re: Ammunition choice

Post by Carl »

Barnes. If you develop loads for the Barnes you wil end up with very nice all round ammo for other applications. If I remember your 308 is the Winchester and not the caliber. By using Barnes you will have something for lighter game and longer distances.
User avatar
tripodmvr
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 21608
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:31 pm

Re: Ammunition choice

Post by tripodmvr »

Barnes is better
mariusr
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 2995
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:11 am

Re: Ammunition choice

Post by mariusr »

Carol I wil also go for Barnes ! A frame is good but far to expensive but you can also look at Rhino bullets better than A frame I think much cheaper and it is local made!
User avatar
Andrew Leigh
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:29 am

Re: Ammunition choice

Post by Andrew Leigh »

tripodmvr wrote:Barnes is better
That rather impressive I assume it is your recovered bullet? Did it hit any bone at all?
User avatar
tripodmvr
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 21608
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:31 pm

Re: Ammunition choice

Post by tripodmvr »

Andrew Leigh wrote:
tripodmvr wrote:Barnes is better
That rather impressive I assume it is your recovered bullet? Did it hit any bone at all?
No, it is one I downloaded from the forum. Think it was Gerhard who showed it in a thread. Here is one I killed a BWB with. The target is of 130gr TTSX - 4 shots in the group still doing load development. Now you see why they say that about Barnes - djy wiet mos.
Barnes 150gr BWB.jpg
Ruger 30-06 Barnes TTSX 130.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Andrew Leigh
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:29 am

Re: Ammunition choice

Post by Andrew Leigh »

Eish, not to hijack the thread but it makes for a convincing argument. Off hunting in late June, I feel some mono load development coming on. Will PM you before I buy.
Post Reply