Page 1 of 2

Which .375 H&H to buy?

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:47 pm
by Martin82
Afternoon All

I need a little help and input.
A buddy of mine is looking to buy a .375 H&H, but he's not sure on what brand to buy. I said that allot of the guys on the forum have the CZ 550. So i told him i'd post and get a general idea of whats the more reliable brand.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Martin

Re: Which .375 H&H to buy?

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:01 pm
by tripodmvr
The CZ is a good rifle, but I would not buy one with their normal stock which has a lot of drop at the comb. A more straight stock gives a straight shove to the rear and you can handle the recoil better. Depending on budget you can look at Winchester & Musgrave.

Re: Which .375 H&H to buy?

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:13 pm
by ricus 1
Is he looking for new or second hand?

Regards
Ricus

Re: Which .375 H&H to buy?

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:48 pm
by Giepie
All depend on the budget. A friend of mine has a Sauer and he is extremely happy, but it's a much more expensive gun. I've got an older Musgrave and am just as happy. ;D

If I had to buy now I would go for a CZ but replace the stock, I don't like that drop, I'm not yet member of the crescent mark on the eyebrow club, but that stock tends to give easily. :)

Re: Which .375 H&H to buy?

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:58 pm
by tripodmvr
Giepie wrote:All depend on the budget. A friend of mine has a Sauer and he is extremely happy, but it's a much more expensive gun. I've got an older Musgrave and am just as happy. ;D

If I had to buy now I would go for a CZ but replace the stock, I don't like that drop, I'm not yet member of the crescent mark on the eyebrow club, but that stock tends to give easily. :)
Ek het ook 'n ou K98 Musgrave - ek het hom bo die BRNO gekies wat 'n soortgelyke prys was. Ek is nog nooit spyt gewees daaroor nie.

Re: Which .375 H&H to buy?

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:07 pm
by Ranger
I have a Winchester Pre-64, awesome rifle. It would always be my choice.

Re: Which .375 H&H to buy?

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:54 am
by Martin82
ricusu wrote:Is he looking for new or second hand?

Regards
Ricus
He's looking to buy new.

He has a Winchester .270 at the moment. And he loves that. I think Musgrave make a beautiful rifle, but i know they have an older and newer action, one working better than the other. Does anyone know those details? If their actions are solid i think the Musgrave would be an option. They also have very nice looking stocks.

Thanks for the help

Re: Which .375 H&H to buy?

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:57 am
by Gerhardu
Daai drop in die CZ se lux kolf kan reguit gemaak wrod. Myne was die lux en het hom vinnig geweersmit toe gestuur om daai buig reguit te maak. Baie beter en dis nie duur om dit te doen nie.

Groete

Re: Which .375 H&H to buy?

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:49 am
by Frederik
Buy a winchester out of the box brand new you don't have to do any work on it.

Re: Which .375 H&H to buy?

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:47 am
by Martin82
Frederik wrote:Buy a winchester out of the box brand new you don't have to do any work on it.
Ya i think the Winchester is the route to go

Re: Which .375 H&H to buy?

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:47 pm
by tripodmvr
The rifle leaning on the BWB is a new Musgrave 375HH built on a VZ24 action. Very handsome rifle and also shoots well.
Vivojag 2015 BWB Foto1.jpg

Re: Which .375 H&H to buy?

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:30 am
by Craftyza
I've also got the musgrave 375 h&h
One of the last ones to come out of pta west.
This is my goto rifle for bush hunting, and shoots between 1/2 and 3/4 inch at 100m with mixed pmp cases and peregrine bullets.

Re: Which .375 H&H to buy?

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:16 am
by phillip koen
I bought a Sauer 202, beautiful rifle. In hindsight, a controlled feed with the ability to load from the top and more magazine capacity would be better. I vote for the CZ550 with a straight stock.
The .375's recoil is more a "push" than a "kick".
Ammo is a bit expensive!

Re: Which .375 H&H to buy?

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:39 am
by Martin82
Morning

He said the recoil is fine, he shot one a couple of weeks ago. I will pass all this info on to him.

Thanks for the help

Re: Which .375 H&H to buy?

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:56 am
by matewis
Winchester as ek sou koop

Re: Which .375 H&H to buy?

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:51 am
by James Wilson
Did some load testing with 300grn's the past weekend with a friends 375H&H Winchester model 70. What a pleasant experience and such a beautiful gun. I have had 300Win mags with more recoil than this rifle

Re: Which .375 H&H to buy?

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:37 am
by QuQ
I would also go Winchester, or CZ and replace the stock.

Re: Which .375 H&H to buy?

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:32 pm
by airhunter
Winchester Pre 64 model 70. As goed wat krap trap en byt ter sprake is. Daai mo&rse extractor gryp nie n dop mis nie.
As dit ek was sou die beste 375 H&H n Howa 375 Ruger gewees het.

Re: Which .375 H&H to buy?

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:17 pm
by Wouter Roets
Airhunter

Maar jy weerspreek jouself darem nou al te lekker! ;D As jy gese het Ruger in 375 Ruger dan het jy nou sin gemaak!

Martin dit sal absoluut sin maak vir jou maat wat klaar n Winchester het ook een te koop in 375. Dit is verseker n uitstekende platvorm en goed aanmekaargesitte geweer. Vertroudheid en uniformigheid met jou vuurwapen word deur baie mene tot hulle groot spyt misgekyk.

Groetnis
Wouter

Re: Which .375 H&H to buy?

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:39 pm
by HoggerNaut
Wouter Roets wrote:Airhunter



Martin dit sal absoluut sin maak vir jou maat wat klaar n Winchester het ook een te koop in 375. Dit is verseker n uitstekende platvorm en goed aanmekaargesitte geweer. Vertroudheid en uniformigheid met jou vuurwapen word deur baie mene tot hulle groot spyt misgekyk.

Groetnis
Wouter
^^^^
This!

Re: Which .375 H&H to buy?

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:35 pm
by Martin82
HoggerNaut wrote:
Wouter Roets wrote:Airhunter



Martin dit sal absoluut sin maak vir jou maat wat klaar n Winchester het ook een te koop in 375. Dit is verseker n uitstekende platvorm en goed aanmekaargesitte geweer. Vertroudheid en uniformigheid met jou vuurwapen word deur baie mene tot hulle groot spyt misgekyk.

Groetnis
Wouter
^^^^
This!
Sal vir hom se

Re: Which .375 H&H to buy?

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:34 pm
by 243Songdaug
A Sako Brownbear of a Winchester Pre64

Re: Which .375 H&H to buy?

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:53 am
by Wesson
Controlled feed essential for bigger game, CZ550 with a straight stock! Power...

Re: Which .375 H&H to buy?

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:17 pm
by MyLani
I have had a Winchester Pre 64 which I sold a few years ago.
I currently have a CZ 550 375 which I love so much, I have been selling my rifles and replacing them in the same calibre with CZ'S.

I agree 100% about the Bavarian stock not being suitable, try find one with a straight stock and you won't look back

Re: Which .375 H&H to buy?

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:19 pm
by Vaalbos
I just don't understand why CZ continue to market the Bavarian style stock in Africa.
Their sales would increase for sure if they changed to a classic straight comb with minimal drop.
Especially in the DG category.