Page 1 of 1

Ammunition choice

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:30 pm
by Carol308
Shot placement critical - understood
Getting similar accuracy out of both
Would your choice be 150gr Barnes TTSX or 180gr Swift A-Frame
BWB and Eland
Bushveld

Re: Ammunition choice

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:07 pm
by tripodmvr
If you have already acquired both then either would do. If you are still deciding then the price would tell me to use the Barnes.

Re: Ammunition choice

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:18 pm
by Sako75
Which calibre?

Re: Ammunition choice

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:29 pm
by LongWolf
Carol308 wrote:Shot placement critical - understood
Getting similar accuracy out of both
Would your choice be 150gr Barnes TTSX or 180gr Swift A-Frame
BWB and Eland
Bushveld
http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s648/Longwolf43/20130402_202128_zpsafe692b1.jpg

Re: Ammunition choice

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:31 pm
by Francois Marais
Looks to be a 308 Win..... 8) 8) 8)

Keep well
Francois

Re: Ammunition choice

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:31 pm
by Carl
Barnes. If you develop loads for the Barnes you wil end up with very nice all round ammo for other applications. If I remember your 308 is the Winchester and not the caliber. By using Barnes you will have something for lighter game and longer distances.

Re: Ammunition choice

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:38 pm
by tripodmvr
Barnes is better

Re: Ammunition choice

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:05 pm
by mariusr
Carol I wil also go for Barnes ! A frame is good but far to expensive but you can also look at Rhino bullets better than A frame I think much cheaper and it is local made!

Re: Ammunition choice

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:20 pm
by Andrew Leigh
tripodmvr wrote:Barnes is better
That rather impressive I assume it is your recovered bullet? Did it hit any bone at all?

Re: Ammunition choice

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:29 pm
by tripodmvr
Andrew Leigh wrote:
tripodmvr wrote:Barnes is better
That rather impressive I assume it is your recovered bullet? Did it hit any bone at all?
No, it is one I downloaded from the forum. Think it was Gerhard who showed it in a thread. Here is one I killed a BWB with. The target is of 130gr TTSX - 4 shots in the group still doing load development. Now you see why they say that about Barnes - djy wiet mos.
Barnes 150gr BWB.jpg
Ruger 30-06 Barnes TTSX 130.jpg

Re: Ammunition choice

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:36 pm
by Andrew Leigh
Eish, not to hijack the thread but it makes for a convincing argument. Off hunting in late June, I feel some mono load development coming on. Will PM you before I buy.