PPU 44 Rem Mag 240gr SJFP Ammo problems

Moderator: Global Moderator

Marc_21

PPU 44 Rem Mag 240gr SJFP Ammo problems

Post by Marc_21 »

Hi all

I'm in need of some advice. My friend has recently gotten himself a Rossi 92 in 44 Rem Mag. He bought himself 3 boxes of PPU 44 Rem Mag 240gr SJFP ammo. At 30m we can not hit an A3 page consistently. I've never seen anything like it. At a stage I thought it must be the rifle.

He then went and bought a pack of 25 Winchester 240grs and they shot perfectly. Today I loaded him some 245gr Cmjs and they perform the same as the Winchesters.

What on earth can be wrong with the ammo that it shoots so poorly? I pulled 5 bullets and loaded them with S221 and got the same results.

Bullet diameter was negligible to the Winchesters and TPL is also the same.

He still has a box of 50, what do we do with them? He bought them from a gun shop in Vereniging and we farm in Ladysmith area, so it's not worth driving there to take them back.

TIA
animaldelange

Re: PPU 44 Rem Mag 240gr SJFP Ammo problems

Post by animaldelange »

I only saw this now.
Bullet diameter may be the issue, smaller than the other bullets. Ja, just a wee bit, but it affects accuracy.
Shoot them out and reload. or pull and run through resizer (doubt it will work)
Marc_21

Post by Marc_21 »

The problem was very specific to those factory PPU rounds, everything he has reloaded since has worked well. Very interesting.
Ds J

Post by Ds J »

I remember some complaints about PPU 44's, maybe four years ago. If memory serves correct they were really hot.
Alwin

Post by Alwin »

This is not an uncommon issue and it can affect all guns and types. Guns are somewhat picky about the ammo they like. Just load a combination that the little rifle likes and enjoy it. The PPU cases should not be bad.

With those Rossi Pumas, and other similar guns, remember that is is a copy of the Winchester model 1892. There is some flex in the rear-locking action. When fed hot loads, the action flexes a lot and can even allow a case to rupture. When this happens, the extractor is usually destroyed. I have seen this happening with PMP factory loads in a 357 Rossi Puma. Take care not to stress the action. With the longer barrel, compared to a handgun, the performance is pretty decent without needing to resort to hot loads.

Return to “Algemeen/General”