Nuwe 4x4 avontuur afdeling (forum)

adventures, tips, equipment
jaracal
Administrator
Administrator

Nuwe 4x4 avontuur afdeling (forum)

Post by jaracal » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:25 am

Indien daar manne is wat hulle ondervinding met ons wil deel sal dit waardeer word.
Hierdie is die plek om julle voorkeure en fotos met ons te deel.
Groete
Heinrich
Vegetarian is an old Bushman word for bad hunter

Blitzzz

Re: Nuwe 4x4 avontuur afdeling (forum)

Post by Blitzzz » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:43 pm

Ek luister ook graag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor
Brno 7 x 57 Mauser
Sako 308 Win
Winchester 30-06 Spr

hotklou

Post by hotklou » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:10 am

Gooi Mielies
"Come to the edge," he said.
And so they came.
And he pushed them.
And they flew.”

airhunter

Post by airhunter » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:16 pm

Ek het hierdie ook op SA4x4 gepost en daarom is dit in brits.

On 09 November 2019 a friend of mine with his familly and my wife and I left Queenstown at 6:00 am for a day trip was planned months in advance. I must admit that I had mixed feelings of excitement and a healthy amount of apprehension when we drove out of town towards the little town of Lady Frere, now called Cacadu. From Cacadu we moved to the town of Elliot and the weather was unbelievable. Cool and slightly overcast with only a cool breeze to make driving a pleasure.
In the main street of Elliot a left turn took us on the R58 in the direction of Barkley East. One thing about the Eastern Cape and Old Transkei is that most roads are in very good condition and the R58 is only a pleasure to drive. The scenery, albeit drab and dry, still remained breathtakingly beautiful. It is amazing when you leave the somewhat unimpressive town of Elliot, with no real landscape features, and a few kilometres further you start climbing at an astonishing rate onto the Barkley Pass with exceptional views of majestic mountains and sheer cliffs with rock formations all round to blow your mind. You are literally slingshot into what feels like another world.
To back track a bit. I was a student in Pretoria in the mid-80s and had a friend that drove a brand new SJ10. One weekend he showed me how capable this little vehicle was. There a love affair started between me and Suzuki 4x4s. For many, many years I dreamt of owning one but somehow my financial state never allowed me to follow that dream. Then 26 years later I ran into a love affair with a 2012 Grand Vitara. She is beautiful and she’s mine. Over time she was upgraded with a 30mm lift EFS suspension, 225/70R17 Maxxis 980 tires, Stofpad protection plates and 4x4 Direct snorkel. I am very impressed with everything and although I had a front shock failure for reason unknown, the EFS still impresses me even if it is more on the hard side. So this would be our first serious trip after the mods and I honestly did not know what to expect. Hence I neared the turn off to the pass with ever growing apprehension.
At the Mountain Shadows Hotel we take a right turn at the old weathered board reading “BASTER VOETPAD oor/via Dr LAPA MUNNIK Pas/Pass. We were in it now, my Zooks and I. A little bit after the turnoff we found a place to pull off where there are nice flat rocks on the right hand side of the dirt road. There we took a meatball and boiled egg breakfast with a good cup of coffee.
After breakfast off we went and soon found the low water bridge that marks the formal start of the Baster Voedpad Pass. Tires were deflated to 1.7bar with the idea of further deflation if needed. A little bit further in 4HL we reach the first bad spot and on to 4LL we go. 4 low second gear work a lot and served me well.
I can sing the praises of the GV but will not be able to better anything already said about it on this forum, so I won’t. What I can say is that everything good said about this vehicle is absolutely true. Without missing a beat the whole pass was driven without one single hiccup. The only problem, and that is not the vehicle’s fault, was the hard type mud flaps that occasionally snagged lightly on a rock. The bash plates never had a chance to protect the under belly, the suspension kept up with all demand and the tyres never flinched.
The road is mostly much deteriorated and at some places a good amount of posterior puckering took place. However, with good line planning I could drive the whole pass without the necessity to exit my vehicle to plan a line and even though all the tools to do a bit of road building were packed, it never was used. Between my Zooks and my friend’s Fortuna we had zero damage to vehicles or tires. What obviously helped was that it was absolutely dry with only here and there a bit of clear water seeping from the mountain side. The drive is pretty technical and a good amount of concentration is needed to ensure good line planning but there at the moment are no places that I can mention to be high risk to drive.
At the little cabin on the left hand side a single little boy ran down to greet us and collected his sweets from my wife. What a beautiful well-mannered little man he was. My wife pitied him somewhat but I envied him to a greater extent. To grow up in that environment must be heavenly.
At the bottom at the stream just before the picnic spot we opted to have a little braai in the middle of the road so the kids can play in the water. This is the second trip we used the disposable type braai and it works a charm. I always keep water and my fire extinguisher close when we braai on trips especially now with the drought that we experience.
From there we opted to take the first right hand turn after the plantation to travel south west towards the Elliot road. From Elliot home we went and with much appreciation that we may still enjoy these things.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.
Mark Twain

airhunter

Post by airhunter » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:17 pm

En nog
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.
Mark Twain

airhunter

Post by airhunter » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:19 pm

Beter size foto
Mark Twain

Return to “4x4 adventures/avonture”